Friday, March 4, 2011

We are nearly ready for layout, and this will be our best issue of the year.

This push to be more socially responsible in my newspaper has resulted in some real, substantive change in my classroom. In our news story selection, our editorial selection, and our editorial discussions surrounding this edition, my students (especially the ones who are leaders) are looking at what they do with a more serious lens.

The c-spread story about fights at our school has produced a solid 1,000 word draft. Our C-spread stories are not usually that long, but I am glad this one is breaking the mold because it is the most important one we have done. Our writers who collaborated on this project interviewed the Principal, the registrar, the school police liaison officer, two students who broke up a fight, teachers that have broken up fights and hall monitors. They have real data on how many fights we have had this year as compared to last year and the consequences.

In my first draft critique, I suggested they contact the school psychologist, parents, students that have been in fights and find data on neighboring schools of similar size and demographics. The registrar provided them with a lot of information and explained a lot of stuff to them, but he told me he "left out some information like the race of those who have been suspended for fighting." My students also didn't ask about it, so we'll see if they can take some hints and solicit that info.

The editorials are the most substantive pieces we have had all year. My news editor made a specific point to comment on how he was impressed that even a normally less-serious writer tackled the more reflective and substantive topic of why his classmates know so much more about Charlie Sheen than they do about Libya. My news editor also wrote an editorial connected to our c-spread about why we can't turn away when a fight happens at our school.

So far, I would call this experiment a success in so far as my students are purposefully making editorial decisions and they are writing better stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment