Friday, February 25, 2011

The story has some good momentum

We are working at a story about the rise in fights at our school as our c-spread. We have given more time to this story than we usually allot to deadlines, and I think it is paying dividends.

So far, I know the students have talked to the following people: Dean of students, Police Liaison officer, Principal, star basketball student who helped break up a fight, teacher who helped break up a fight, hall monitors & students who have been suspended for fighting. I am happy with the net they have cast for reporting this story, but in the time before the final draft, I will encourage them to contact some people outside of our school that may be experts on student violence and the effects of it, as well as neighboring schools. These are all things they brainstormed.

They have already come up with some c-spread art, and they are working in a group of three to gather the information for the story. By next week, we should have a complete rough draft for review by the editors.

Now, in the category of not being socially responsible, I was contacted today by a teacher at our school who wanted to make sure that we "keep the view of what takes place in our school as positive as possible." Which I believe to be code for, "don't make my program look bad, even if people have some frustrations." My response to him is that we will be fair and verify our facts and quotes for accuracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment